Monday, December 13, 2010

People food is good.

Too often we hear that we shouldn't ever feed our dogs "people" food. It's bad for the dogs, or they'll get fat, or it's not balanced nutritionally. Bah, humbug! With the right choices, I disagree.
Good people food IS good for dogs. We just need to use common sense. Think about it. Commercial dog foods haven't been around all that long and dogs were doing just fine on table scraps. I feed my Westies a diet of cooked rice (aids in digestion), assorted cooked and raw veggies, some fruits, cooked meats and eggs, some top quality dog kibbles and a daily vitamin. They are doing just great.
Not all veggies are appropriate,but carrots and green peppers can be given either raw or cooked. My guys love them. Cooked green beans cut up work well too. Just stay away from potatoes, pastas, and onion. My veterinarian says avocado is bad for dogs, but it's featured in some brands of dog foods, so I don't know. Radar and Dazy  love raw tomatoes and apples, which also have the benefit of cleaning their teeth too. Take it easy on the cooked beans and spicy or salty foods. I share my leftover soups with the dogs 'cause they have lots of good things already cut up and cooked. I only feed cooked lean meats and eggs. Be careful with pork. It can cause digestive upsets for some dogs. So fried eggs are great--sausage is not.
Balance out the dogs nutritional requirements with commercial dog food and the daily vitamin. It takes a little more work, but your dogs will love you for it and should thrive.

1 comment:

  1. Teaching a dog is not a science, its an art which requires your skills. Dog training beaverton can have that skills by simply log on easy-dogtraining. com for best available tips and solutions.

    ReplyDelete